This was a pretty busy week in search with some pretty important changes. First, many are seeing ranking changes in Google but Google’s John Mueller said there was no update to announce. Gary Illyes said Google won’t release the Penguin update until it is finished. Google released their full version of their search quality rating guidelines to the world after it was leaked again. Google is now able to rank app only content apps in the mobile search results, with streaming them to Android users – this is big. Plus, Google ranks apps based on content and user metrics, not content and link/PageRank metrics. Google is smarter at understanding your natural language queries now. Google Search Console data is out of date, but it should be fixed soon. Google launched the live blog label and released structured markup to add it to your site. Google doesn’t use structured markup for featured snippets. Google does want you to be able to be able to modify your knowledge panel. Google’s John Mueller number one SEO tip is to be consistent. Google released version 10.0 of the Google iOS Search app. Google added pinch and zoom to the tablet Google search interface. Finally, Duane Forrester formerly of Bing announced he is working for Bruce Clay now. That was this past week in search at the Search Engine Roundtable.
For the original iTunes version, click here.
Search Topics of Discussion:
- Google: Despite Chatter, There Is No Update To Announce
- Google’s Gary Illyes: Penguin Won’t Be Released Unfinished
- Google Publishes The Full Version Of The Search Quality Rating Guidelines
- Google’s Latest Search Quality Raters Handbook – October 2015 Edition
- Google Now Rank Apps Without Web Content Can Stream Apps Without Installing Them
- Google Does Use User Metrics For App Rankings But Not Web Rankings
- Google Search Smarter At Superlatives, Times Complicated Queries
- Google Search Console Data Should Be Resolved By End Of Week
- Google Launches Red Live Label Live Blogs Schema Markup
- Google: Structured Data Not Currently Used For Featured Snippets
- Google Wants To Let You Modify Your Knowledge Panel
- Google John Mueller: Top SEO Advice “Be Consistent”
- Google Releases Version 10.0 Of The iOS Search App
- Google Adds Pinch Zoom To Tablet Search Interface After Complaints
- Duane Forrester Now Working At Bruce Clay
Please do subscribe via iTunes or on your favorite RSS reader. Don’t forget to comment below with the right answer and good luck!